Friday, August 21, 2009

Milk monster (87 days)


Today, I find myself wondering if micro-preemie parents ever become desensitized to the constant emotional whiplash, or if I can expect to be perpetually strung out for the next ten years. Based on what I've read in blogs for older 24-weekers, I suspect it's the latter, but I'm still desperately clinging to the belief that Bryce will be different; in psychological circles, I believe it's referred to as the denial stage. ;-P

I suppose I may as well start with the bad news: as of this morning, Bryce is in "contact isolation", due to the fact that he's had unexplained loose/smelly stools for the past 24 hours. So far, his tests have all come back negative, and the doctor doesn't think it's serious, but it's still unnerving to watch the nurses gown up every time before they touch Bryce.

Thankfully, all the other news is mostly good. I think Bryce must be preparing to transform into a butterfly and fly away from the NICU, because our very hungry caterpillar has a seemingly insatiable appetite! Between Christie and I, we've been giving him up to three feedings a day by mouth (he got his first bottle on Wednesday), and to say Bryce is "enthusiastic" about feeding would be an understatement (see video). The lactation consultant suggested that if Bryce could nurse for 10 minutes, that would count as a full feeding; our little dairy king was still looking for more after 25 minutes! The only downside to his nursing prowess is that it means Christie is spending several hours each day at the hospital, which has made an already tight schedule feel barely manageable. Hopefully, this is the darkest hour before the dawn, and not a prelude of what's to come.



Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment