Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Milk moustache (78 days)

After 76 days of pumping for 30 minutes every three hours, Christie finally got to nurse Bryce on Tuesday. Personally, I think she deserves a medal; I doubt there are very many women who'd be willing to endure 300 hours on the Medela Symphony with no guarantee that she'd ever be able to breastfeed! However, our little champ was very appreciative! The lactation consultant was astonished that he did so well; on his first try, he nursed for several minutes without choking once! He didn't do quite as well today (choked twice), but it still looks like we might get lucky and Bryce will have a relatively easy transition to oral feeding.

I wish I could tell you that the kid looks great, but I haven't seen him since Monday evening. I put myself back in quarantine yesterday after Logan spiked a fever of 102; I'm pretty sure allergies aren't contagious, so I'm assuming I've got a cold. My symptoms are fading, so hopefully another good night's sleep will do the trick. Meanwhile, Christie has been improving with the camera, so you can see for yourself that he's happy and healthy.

On a side note, some of you may remember my prediction that Bryce would be a million-dollar baby. Well, it seems I underestimated badly -- we received the bill for Chloe's 26 day stay in the NICU (note that it's for room/board only). OUCH.

Print this post

1 comment: